Since it was Memorial Day on Monday in the month of May I thought I should dedicate a post to my wonderful brother Derek.
Derek Agee BostonDecember 24, 1977- May 17, 2001
Now, don't let this picture fool you. Me and Derek were definitely what you consider bickering siblings. I don't know if it was because I really disliked him(can't think of a better term) or if I just liked the fun reactions I would get out of him. Stealing his hats when I was younger was my favorite sport. We [Kelsi and I] would steal his hat every chance we got. We hid it once under the couch in the front room and seriously had forgotten where we put it. We found it a year later. Whoops.I remember when I first heard the term "kick him in the balls" I didn't understand it...so Derek was the person I tried it out on. Oh my goodness...he grabbed me by the arm and dragged me out of Walden's books so fast. Derek, I'm so so so sorry for doing that! I learned my lesson pretty quickly on that.
He was the WORST babysitter in the world. Him and Brian would buy pizzas just for themselves. We even called Andria to get her to tell them to share with us but she was on their side (we were terrible babysittees)
However, he did have his good babysitting times too...One time when my parents were out of town he came home from work at about 11:30 and wanted to go to Village Inn so he let us put on our new school clothes(my mother was very strict about those staying in the bag until school started) and we went. My parents would leave us with money when they went out of town for "emergencies" and we would always save it up and on the last day do something fun. One year we split the money up and went mini golfing and the loser had to buy the winner their shaved ice of choice. Luckily, I was in the middle. Kelsi ended up having to buy Derek the BIGGEST shaved ice.
I wouldn't say we ever got along (Please if someone can remember do share...). We avoided each other. So I don't have sweet memories or stories...I only remember things people have told me. It wasn't until the last few months that we were semi decent with each other. I think we still put on a show but late at night I would sneak down to his room and just talk to him. I couldn't tell you what we would talk about I'm almost certain it was pretty stupid. But I think if he were alive today we would have a completely different relationship, as most 'adult' sibling relationships do.I always think about the "what ifs..." I'm pretty sure Daren would think Derek is the coolest guy around. What if he were alive, would he have finally ever gotten around to getting married? What if he was a dad (oh my...)? And how many kids would he have right now? What would his current job situation be? Would he still love warhammer? Or, would him and Michael always be living at my parents house? Who knows...
This is the last "complete" family picture taken before he passed away. It brings me to tears every time I see it. I was so frustrated with my family this day. I HATE family pictures. Why was it so important to get this picture taken.....? Well, let's just say if we had never taken this picture I'm pretty sure neither of the boys [Michael and AJ] would be present in the last one taken before this one. 8 years have passed and I'd like to think it has gotten easier but it hasn't. Derek, you are missed!
9 comments:
Erica.... I had no idea I am so sorry. Do you care if I ask what kind of cancer he had? I will never for get the day I found out that my bro had cancer it totally Sucks!
Wow Erica, I had no idea either. I didn't know you had this many siblings either. We really do need to see each other more. :) Thanks for sharing this. I hope you had a great memorial day, thinking of the memories you have of your brother.
Remember the time when he drove in reverse all the way home. Oh boy, what a character. It's good to remember him.
Erica...
I had no idea you had a brother pass away of cancer. I can't imagine how hard that would be. That was nice to read about him and see your family picture at the end. I also have to tell you on a random note; that your kitchen growing up looks just like mine did growing up! funny how they were all the same back then :) You have a cute family and I love to learn more about you! I hope you guys had a good memorial day weekend. Hope I see you again soon <3
Geez Erica...you made me teary eyed. I actually remember that day. I also remember buying toys and putting together little gifts for everyone and bringing them over. I think I bought legos for your younger bros. :)
I don't think losing someone ever gets easier. I'm sorry for the loss that you and your family feel. What a hard thing to go through with someone who was so young.
I dont' think I've ever really seen a good picture of Derek before now. I keep waffling back and forth as to whether he reminds me of Michael or AJ. I think he must just look like both, which leads me to believe that all three of them must look like your dad (or at least have his genes). The picture of you and him is adorable. I think you were one of the cutest kids I've ever seen. I also love Michael and AJ's faces in the last picture, so funny.
Erica, I love seeing you yesterday. You really look so good! I'm so proud of your dedication. I just remembered that you guys won't be in this afternoon and seeing as I'm still in my pj's I guess I won't be bringing your money to you until monday. Is that ok?? I already have the check written out and everything (sorry, I don't have cash). Thanks again for bailing me out. I've NEVER forgotten my wallet... how embarrassing.
Well you just made me cry a river. Thanks so much for going down memory lane. I can promise you that you and Derek would be great friends now. He and I became friends as we got older. He was really funny and so laid back. I can't wait until we can all hang out together again!!
Im so sorry, this post was sooo sweet Erica. It about brought me to tears, I cannot imagine losing a sibling.
It took me a lil bit to check your blog, but your family pic is so cute and it looks like your dogs sat still for you!! Mine are just so used to it, they love 'puppy portraits'. Lol!
I love your blog my dear!! Im gunna link it to mine so I can stalk it ;)
Post a Comment