Sunday, May 16, 2010

It's So Close I'm Letting It Slide

I said at the first of the year I was determined to go on a vacation with Daren, just the two of us.  We got the opportunity at the last minute to join my dad, once again, for the California Dental Meetings.  It may not have just been the two of us but we got to spend the day all alone in Disneyland and I can't complain I'm counting it! Daren is not a traveler it may never happen again.  

We drove all night on Wednesday and got there bright and early on Thursday.  We went to Newport Beach. Daren was loving all the guys fishing along the pier.  I was just loving not being in the car ;)
For lunch on Thursday we went to Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant.  It was soooo filling.  I couldn't eat the rest of the day.  Daren was overwhelmed with the amount of food that was in front of him.

I've been counting down the days until Daren and I got to go to Disneyland together.  I seriously was starting to doubt it would ever happen.  He was not nearly as excited as I was.  Ok, let's be honest, he was dreading it.  He doesn't like rides so obviously it's not exactly the best place for him.  He loved Thunder Mountain Railroad, I really don't know the name of it but you know the ride, surprisingly. He even said after Indiana Jones, he was having a minor panic attack before the ride, that it was "weak".  Go figure. He was determined to have this picture with the duck taken...him and his love of wildlife.

I think the biggest hit of Disneyland for him was that they brought back the Michael Jackson Captain EO 3-D movie.  He was on cloud nine watching that bizarre show.  I vaguely remembered parts of it as a child...the flying cat thing or whatever.  But that was seriously some strange show.  Daren wants it on video now.  Oh brother....
I had heard so much about the Buzz Lightyear ride, I've been avoiding it since it came out, and figured I might as well go on it with Daren.  You shoot things, he likes to shoot things.  But unfortunately both of us left disappointed.  His score was much more impressive then mine though at the end.
I even thought he'd like Small World.  I haven't been on that ride probably in 10 years.  I HATE that ride.  As soon as we got on the ride he turned to me expressing how much he also didn't like the ride.  Go figure(once again...) Other things I was sure he'd love that was a big miss was The Tiki Room and Finding Nemo Submarine ride.  He loves fish and birds but it didn't do it for him.
I loved that I got to finally share something that I love, seriously obsessed with, with Daren.  It was a wonderful experience.  We didn't eat at Blue Bayou.  I didn't think Daren would be ok with spending that much on lunch.  However, we ate at the Hungry Bear place.  Next time I'm going to make him go.  He was thankful to not go cause he couldn't imagine eating somewhere where it "smelled like water" Silly guy.
The restaurant next to our hotel is always a big hit with me.  Po Folks.  We ate dinner that night there and then me and my dad ate there the following more.  Daren once again was overwhelmed with the amounts of food in front of him.  I'm the only one who pretty much finished my food. Yay me!
The reason Daren didn't join us for breakfast is he woke up really early, 4:30, to go fish off the pier.  He was so excited.  He did end up catching two little buggers. I couldn't believe how thrilled he was about catching those two.
Once again, him and his wildlife.  He loved the sea otters that were hanging out down by the pier.  There was a little boy that caught fish and then threw them down to the sea otters.  I have to admit it was pretty adorable!

I got myself a carameled apple...Yum!!! This picture is so bad I had to share it.  Daren loves fishing and I love food.  It shows our true colors ;)
Overall, the trip was a success.  I'm glad to be back home Californians scare me.  I'm very thankful my mother, even with a migraine, helped out and took care of our pups.

5 comments:

susan gordon said...

sounds like a fun trip! I am glad that you had fun in Disneyland! When we took the kids Daren stayed at the motel! We love you guys!

The Obergs said...

Erica, I love this blog post! Look at all of these great pictures of you AND Daren. I hardly ever see pictures of you two together. What a great trip! I will say, it will always rank pretty high on my favorite spots too... especially the blue bayou! I don't know if they could ever raise those dang prices too high for me not to want to go. It's the BEST, despite the 20 dollar sandwich.

P.S. I saw Kelsi's engagement pictures and they are GORGEOUS! Wow, they both look so great and I love all of their wardrobe changes.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA... I swear, I could see the whole Disneyland conversations playing out... But I agree, it is nice to see some pics of you guys together :)

Unknown said...

This looks so fun! Once again, I am so jealous that you went to Disneyland. I LOVE that last picture!! ha ha

Andria said...

I am so glad that Daren went with you. What a fun trip. It sounds like it ended up being a fun time for the both of you!!