Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Introducing.......

 Hudson Derek Gordon
9 lbs 1 oz, 20 inches 
April 10, 2011 -- 5:41 am

Even though all my readers already know of my joyous news I want to document that night (and to be honest, lately I've really enjoyed everyone's birth stories so enjoy if you're like me!)

On Saturday evening I began have inconsistent contractions that were KILLING me.  I didn't know what to do.  I really didn't believe I would have the luck that I would actually go into labor and be able to not be induced and have what they were saying is a big baby.  I kept asking Daren what I should do.  He made me a bath hoping that would help with some of the pain.  I stayed in the bath longer than I have ever sat in one before, it was fantastic! Daren was so great that night.  At 7 the contractions were still incredibly inconsistent but coming more frequently.  I grabbed my What to Expect When You're Expecting book and began reading what do to.  I texted Megan and Kelsi hoping someone would just make the decision of what I should do for me.  My Dr. had given me a paper with the Labor and Delivery number to call if I had any questions...I tried that, it led to being told you can't ask questions over the phone.  Anyways, so around 8:30 pm Daren and I grabbed our bags and came in.  I knew they were going to send me away so I didn't tell anyone of the news.  

Well, once we got checked in they checked me and I was already dilated to a 5.  So, I was in for the night.  They kept asking me if I wanted the epidural, which I turned down (not for the long haul just for the moment) at 9:30 they checked me again and I was almost to a 7.  I just knew at that point I was meant to have loads and loads of babies because everything was going so smoothly. At 10 the contractions finally became too unbearable so I decided to buck up and get the epidural.  Dr. Larson was a good time! He was just the person to do my epidural because he made me laugh.  Thankfully I know some of his associates so we had something to talk about to keep me distracted.  I was on cloud nine once I had gotten to epidural! Seriously, could anything go wrong with this delivery? I don't think so! 

Daren was getting bored I let him choose the tv show- bull riding. I was just anxious.  By 2 am I was dilated to a 10!! Hip, hip hooray! I kept telling myself April 10th will never be just another day to me. They wanted to wait to have me push for an hour so he could descend a little on his own.  By 3 I was pushing.  Pushing was not fun, not bad but kind of an awkward situation all the way around.  I just knew I was doing it wrong because he wasn't really coming.  At 4:30 my dr. came in to let me know that she would recommend I only push until 5 than we'd probably have to do a c-section.  My heart sank, not because I would feel less of a mother or whatever, I just really didn't want to have the long recovery.  But I was ready to give that 30 minutes my all!!!  And I think I over did it because by 4:50, I let the nurse know I was done. I cried some good tears but knew it would be ok because I could finally see my baby!

A c-section is so different than I always imagined.  The highlight(besides getting my baby as the end result) was I got to hang out with Dr. Larson again.  I was too tired to really know what was going on but I wasn't uncomfortable like I normally would have been in that situation.  Daren stayed in the room, which he had been telling me was NOT going to happen.  After feeling my body move around a little bit I heard a little cry coming from a baby, my baby! I looked over and saw him, then the adrenaline was gone and I just wanted my bed! I could barely keep my eyes open to take everything in.

 Dr. Larson took our first family picture.  Really, I would normally not have shared this with the world but this picture is almost too hilarious to not share. I knew I needed to put on a good face...and my goodness.  I laughed forever once I finally saw this!
 Daren and Hudson went away for an hour while I was in recovery. I have no idea what happened in there I was in and out for sure!
 Daren got to give Hudson his first hair wash.  Again, Daren said he wasn't going to want to do anything like that.  You can tell Hudson and Daren are going to be the best of friends! Daren already would give the world to this little man.  He asks every day if he gets to bathe him again.
 So all is well in the Gordon family in Logan! It's definitely an adjustment.  The worst part is to have some little man so dependent on me but then I am so dependent on other people.


Thanks to everyone for everything you've said and done for us during this whole thing.  We are going to head home tomorrow morning and are looking forward to just being our family of 3 (or 5 if you include the dogs)

12 comments:

Shawn and Shayna said...

Erica!!! So happy for you!!! I love reading birth stories too! I am so glad that he is finally here! One of these days I would love to come and visit you...I know you live somewhere in Nibley, Glad things are going so well! Welcome to motherhood!

apb said...

He is so precious!!! Congrats!

Chelsea said...

Yay! Congratulations on Hudson! Love the name, by the way. Good luck!

Leslie said...

AH! I love that you posted the birth story so soon! You and Daren look so happy (especially Daren- you can just tell in the pictures he is soooooo excited!) That Hudson is darling- Hudson is my favorite name right now so I am glad someone gets to use it- especially on such a cute baby! He is such a Hudson :) CONGRATS!!!!

P.S. I have a present for you!!!

Lexy said...

YAY!! He is adorable! And huge! 9 lbs. seriously? Your first baby. I thought when Phoebe was born at 8 lbs. that, that was big enough! i am a wuss.
Welcome to motherhood. It's heaven on earth. but can be one of the most challenging things you will ever do.
And I seriously love your first family shot. PRICELESS! :)
Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am so glad he is finally here! I loved reading your birth story! Mine is similar in the sense that I went in to have keldon normally, but then ended up doing a C-Section after 9 hours of labor. (I didn't get the pleasure of pushing like you did though ;) I wish we lived closer so I could bring you dinner!! :( Just know we are thinking of you and we couldn't be happier for you all. Congratulations! xoxo

The Obergs said...

Oh erica, I'm so impressed that you didn't get an epidural until you were a 7! Hello, you are meant to have loads and loads of babies. I pushed for 2 hours too... the most EXHAUSTING thing I've ever done. I've hazel hadn't moved in that time, I would have had to do a C-section too. There's just no way you can push for that long.

He is so perfect, and I've never seen Daren look more happy. I'm so excited for your new little family. Best of luck with everything!

Burke and Emily Adams said...

Oh Erica! You amazing woman you! I loved the birth story, but I'm so sorry for the long recovery ahead. You just keep letting people help you, ok and don't take it too fast! He is beautiful. Congrats!

Unknown said...

Congrats again!! I definitely know all about having huge babies, but they are still so small huh? Thanks for sharing your birth story, I love hearing them too. As a c section mama I can tell you the first week is kinda sucky but from what my friends have told me, it is no worse than a vaginal recovery. My recoveries were great, but I didn't have to labor before my surgeries... Just make sure to take it easy and stay on top of your pain meds. I am so happy for you guys and I know you and Daren will be amazing parents! Lots of love!

Andria said...

I loved hearing the story in your written words. I am sitting here in tears!! A story of someone giving birth is always so amazing!! I love you guys!! And we all love baby Hudson!! Congrats!! Go home and try and just enjoy having a new little baby!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your story!! It's too bad with how nicely things started out that you had to get a c section! But hey! If you're tired then you are tired! (= I'm glad things went so well for you and that everyone is doing great!! So exciting to have your first baby!! Congratulations!

Katie McCaul said...

Love the story! Glad everything went well...even though you didn't want a c section it all turned out good:) He is so cute!!! it is weird the love at first sight