Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Graduation Extravaganza!!

I really wanted to approach this post almost backwards from the order in which it happens but I just didn't know how to make that possible. Saturday, May 5th, was the most exhausting day.  I had known this day was going to be tiring since the day it clicked that I had 3 graduations that day.  I actually had no plan to attend an actual ceremony, other than the first one.  I have never been to a college grad ceremony.  I'm all about the parties that follow though.  But the first party was the night before at Olive Garden for my 98, almost 99, year old grandmother who was graduating from USU.
She'd been telling the family for years that she was going to get her diploma finally from USU. Truth be told, we'd finally thought it probably wasn't going to really happening.  But does that woman give up? No! So, after just needing a couple more credits, which due to her age they made some special arrangements to get her the classes she needed to finish to get her degree in American Studies.


 Olive Garden was what I was expecting to be the most exciting part.  As I said, ceremonies don't do anything for me.  But no words can explain how fantastic them honoring her at the Spectrum was! Much better than I would have thought.  I had played different scenarios through my head of what they were going to make this tiny woman do to get that diploma.  Walk across the stage? Pushed in a wheelchair?  I was happy when we got there to see her sitting on the stage with my cousin Michelle.  But I still was unsure just what was going to happen.  When the speaker got up and said it was the time everyone really came for I was glad to finally see the plan unfold.  The speaker said though that before everyone else comes up they needed to honor a special graduate.  It was my grandmother!!
Unfortunately, us Bostons sat on the wrong side. The men were standing in our way.  Thankfully I was able to get this picture from my cousin Ciara. But the woman got a standing ovation! You definitely got goosebumps.  It was incredibly sweet! I would say my grandmother is awesome- standing ovation and an article in the newspaper? Yeah, I'm jealous ;)
 As horrible as it sounds, we left after that because we had other ceremonies to get to.  Did I mention that this is all during naptime? Never a good thing to miss our nap.
 The other ceremonies we had were for Wes, Daren's brother and my sister's husband, Chris.  They were unfortunately at the same time.  We made the decision to go to Wes's actual ceremony.  Which we totally scored because it was less than 30 minutes long (score!!)  But Hudson definitely had had enough and I had to take him out during the last speaker.  Next door was Chris's ceremony, no we didn't see him or anything of importance but it counts as if we were there, right?  I think so!
 Both Wes and Chris had parties that night as well.  Hudson and I were able to go to Kelsi's house to party it up! Since I wasn't able to get any other picture of Chris in his cap and gown, at least I got a picture of the graduate on that day right?
After an early bed time for both baby and mom.  I am secretly hoping to never have to endure a day like that again.


Copy of the article from the Herald Journal

Of the many Utah State University graduates who accepted degrees from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum on Saturday, Twila Boston was born first — more like some 75 years first.
Boston was the first to be recognized by the college’s dean, John Allen, at a ceremony for one of USU’s biggest colleges. On stage donning her black cap and gown, and with the help of her granddaughter, Michelle Tobin, Boston, at the age of 98, was awarded her degree in American studies.
“It was just awesome,” said Tobin, who traveled to Logan from her Manassas, Va., home for the ceremony. “It was amazing; there was a standing ovation, and people came up to her afterward saying how inspiring she is.”
Born on Sept. 7, 1913, Boston will be 99 later this year. Someone of this age accepting a college degree is “a very rare event” for USU, said Kristen Munson, public relations specialist for the College of HSS, and Boston just might be the oldest person to graduate from USU, according to university records.
“The university was delighted to hear from her about wanting to complete her degree,” Munson wrote in an email. “She loves learning. She has never stopped. And she should be commended for her efforts.”
According to USU officials, Boston did take classes through the 1970s and 1980s, but she never finished her degree.
Then, this year, USU got a call from Boston herself, who indicated she wanted to finish. Munson talked to Boston and told her she was just a few credits shy of an American studies degree, which is housed in the English department but is an interdisciplinary program that combines coursework in areas such as English, history and anthropology.
Because of her age, the university worked with Boston to come up with an oral history project she could complete from home that would meet the degree requirements. She finished it two months ago.
Boston moved to Cache Valley in the early 1970s after her husband, a lifelong physician, retired. The Bostons retired here because they had family in the area, including her daughter, who was busy obtaining a master’s degree in education at USU.
Boston had a strong affection for USU, and decided to take classes that interested her. But she didn’t really need a degree by the 1970s — she had entered nursing school in Salt Lake City on her 19th birthday and became a registered nurse.
“If you’re a nurse, you’re a nurse for life,” Boston said in her Providence home Friday afternoon, adding that her favorite classes were history and English. “But I just like to learn.”
Then, a few years after becoming a nurse, when she met and married her husband in 1936 (they were working at the same hospital) when she became an office assistant at his private medical practice. They had four children — three of whom would later graduate from USU — and lived to various cities in Utah, Oregon and Idaho.
“I’ve seen a lot of change,” Boston noted. 
She’s lived through seven wars, seen economic prosperity, recessions and a depression, and the rise of science and technology to become a part of everyday life.
The year of her birth, 1913, saw Woodrow Wilson sworn in as president of the United States, the first moving assembly line by Ford Motor Company, and New York City's Grand Central Terminal’s grand reopening as the world's largest train station.
Tobin said her grandmother’s story is an inspiration to her and her family.
“I think it’s cool,” she said. “She’s showing her grandkids and great-grandkids that it’s important to get an education regardless of age.”
Boston said getting her degree from USU is based on her values she learned as a child.
“I was expected to get an education,” she said. “I want that diploma, just like anyone else, and I don’t consider myself smarter than anyone else.”
She still reads novels and watches the news, keeping her mind sharp.
Boston’s advice to the USU graduates of 2012: “Never stop learning.”

2 comments:

The Obergs said...

oh my gosh, are you serious!?!?!? I had no idea that grandma Boston was going to school! That is probably the neatest/most adorable thing I have ever heard. I'm so proud of her and I'm not even her granddaughter! What an exciting day. Not everyone can say that their 100 year old grandma graduated from college.

Andria said...

I am really sad I missed it. I am wishing now I would have just flown to SLC and had someone come get me. It would have been fun to be a part of. I love the post and love that you give such great details! Thanks for always posting!!